Thursday, July 20, 2006

The antithesis to Led Zepellin-White Dog - SIgma 28/1.8 review



I like the White Dog-it looks sad and dignified(Nikon fm2n 28/1.8 sigma aspherical II with skylight 1A filter;fuji proplus II;)

And now to sigma-
it's the older version introduced in 1994(the 58mm filter ring).
The lens has pleasant bokeh and moderate distortion,It is tack sharp and focuses as close as 0.2 or 0.3 meters(less than a foot).
It doesnt flare to easy for a fast wide lens(I dont use a hood with it-I dont have it and it's a bayonet).It has half stops and stops down to 22.



Mechanical build leaves much to be desired - the focus ring is flimsy and the pressure needed to turn it is uneven all the way(tougher in the middle).
Since the lens is AF it's MF focus travel is short-meaning it's a hassle to focus in low light - but not impossible.The white painted numbers(dof table,sigma corp name,apperture values)started to wear of so I stuck a peace of transparent tape over them. The outer bayonet ring (needed for the hood which is impossible to find)is made of plastic so I dont know how much mistreatment it would tolerate. It feels a bit heavier and is a bit larger(wider and longer)then the 50/1.4 AI.



My main problem with it is the short focus throw.I am happy I traded the canonet for it,but I would trade it for a nikon 28/2 AI(or any 20 AI) in no time if anyone offered.

I am curious checking it on an AF camera to see how fast\accurate it's AF is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»